Saturday 6 September 2014

[Review] New X-Men Vol 1

New X-Men, Vol. 1: E is for Extinction 

 Author: Grant Morrison

Art: Frank Quietly, Leinil Francis Yu

Genre: SF / Superhero

Themes: Love, Self Image, Evolution, Survival, Purpose

There is a palpable change in the X-men in this volume, brought about by a new gritty and mature approach to the franchise. Morrison certainly has set out to change the perception of the team, bringing a much more threatening and realistic feel to the plotting with a distinct dark atmosphere.

The art style suits the new tone mirroring the story with the use of oppresive, moody tones. Each panel is well crafted, and conveys the action in clear and effective displays of graphical prowess. I also like the new depth of character this volume brings, with each character battling their own internal issues as well as those put in front of them.

I was a little let down by the writing, a couple of times it felt like I'd missed a page or panel and I had to go back to check. However I loved the ending, it's really made me want to read on and follow up on a shocking turn of events. This is a fresh and exciting start and I'm intrigued as to where Morrison will take it from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment